The online Master of Counseling can provide you with the skills you need to assess your clients and determine their level of need. The most prominent route to becoming a counselor in this field is through online masters programs focused on general counseling.
A Master's of Counseling with a Specialization in Domestic Violence Counseling can provide you with an understanding of he field of counseling, as well as access to different techniques and assessment methods to use in the field.
Domestic violence counselors should also consider receiving certification within their specialized area in order to learn more about what is required to work with clients that have been affected by domestic violence.
Find a Program Focused on Domestic Violence Coursework
Certificate programs focusing on domestic violence, trauma, and relationship health could be great additions to your online Masters in Counseling program.
Each of these areas can give you a little more insight into what types of therapies and methods are most useful with clients with these needs, especially those that are working towards repairing relationships that have been torn apart by family violence.
As you read more into this guide, you can see more information about the steps you can take to successfully become licensed and certified to work in this area of counseling.
Consider a Featured Online Counseling Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?|
|Our Lady of the Lake University|
Online MA in Counseling
Designed to adhere to CACREP standards
No GRE required.
Three specializations in Clinical Mental Health, Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, or School Counseling.Learn More
|University of Denver|
Online MA in School Counseling
Designed to adhere to CACREP standards
GRE Scores Not Required
Learn from doctoral-level faculty in live classes and gain experience through mock counseling and in-field training.Learn More
Master's Degree in Counseling
No GRE—No Entrance Exam
Choose from Addictions, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, or School Counseling specialtiesLearn More
PhD in Counseling
Choose from Human Behavior or Counselor Education specialitiesLearn More
|University of West Alabama|
Online Counseling and Psychology Degrees
Multiple online counseling degree options
Programs in experimental psychology, clinical mental health counseling, family counselingLearn More
*Sponsored Counseling Programs
Online CACREP Accredited programs | Online MPCAC Accredited programs
Domestic Violence Counseling Degrees
Once you have received your degree, license, and certification, you can begin working in private practice or even for mental health agencies that provide counseling services to clients with diverse needs. Your job as a counselor in this field may include providing methods for building self-confidence, addressing inner strength, and providing your clients with new coping skills to help them work through their trauma.
Domestic violence counselors can also work with perpetrators of domestic violence in an effort to provide them with alternative anger-management support, sensitivity training, and instruction on life choices.
Another interesting component in the field of domestic violence counseling is that you can work with a variety of age groups with different outlooks and views on their experiences. In some areas, domestic violence counselors can also work with children that have been victims of or that have witnessed domestic violence. Intervention by counselors in this area can help to prevent the pattern of domestic violence in families and help children learn healthy ways to cope with their experiences.
Domestic Violence Degree Levels Available
- Masters: When you are looking at careers in counseling, you will most often see information about online masters programs. This is because the masters-level is the lowest accepted degree level for licensure in counseling in all states. Online Masters in Counseling programs can provide you with the skills and elements needed to be a proactive and supportive domestic violence counselor for your clients. Masters level programs typically consist of 2-3 years of course work and may require some in-person supervised internships during the process.
- Doctoral: Some students that choose domestic violence counseling as their career choice may also seek higher tier degree programs in order to exhibit their skills in the field. Online Doctorate in Counseling programs can highlight advanced assessment and treatment methods, ethics, and leadership in the field. Some programs in the online setting also address some of the techniques associated with counseling research, preparing your for careers that can change the field of counseling as a whole.
- Certificate Programs: While licensed positions in the field require you to be licensed, there are different types of positions in social services and with counseling organizations that can allow you to work with domestic violence victims as an advocate or family case manager. Some of these positions may require you to have at least a general certification in domestic violence counseling, which can be obtained through online certification programs. Certifications can be obtained in around 1 year at most universities.
Online Master’s in Domestic Violence Counseling Programs
If you have already completed a bachelors program in a counseling or psychology related field, you might already be on the look-out for reputable online masters programs to enroll in. Some of the things to look for if you plan on pursuing a career in domestic violence counseling is accreditation and reliability. Accredited degree programs are often labeled with a seal from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). This indicates that the program has been reviewed and approved for use by upcoming licensed counselors.
Our team of educational experts has reviewed some of the top online masters programs available for you to pursue all over the country. While these online programs focus on the general field of counseling, they can provide you with a foundation of knowledge that you can use to help thwart the negative effects of domestic violence on individuals and families. Take a look at some of the programs found below.
- Northwestern University – Online Master of Counseling: The online Masters of Counseling at Northwestern University prides itself on its combination of teaching methods for counseling students interested in making a difference in the lives of their clients. This degree program includes an inclusive curriculum that outlines CACREP-accredited topics regarding assessment and treatment, as well as immersion experiences that can bring what you learn to life during your program. Completion of this program alongside your required clinical experience can help you obtain licensure within your state.
- Wake Forest University – Online Master of Counseling: As another CACREP-accredited option, Wake Forest University also provides students with the option of completing their counseling degree in the online setting. One of the exceptional facts about this university’s counseling division is that it carries a high pass rate for students that move forward into the national counseling examination. If you are looking for a reliable and thorough degree program to enroll in, Wake Forest University is a school to consider.
Sample Courses for the Online Master of Domestic Violence Counseling
If you have researched counseling degrees in the past, you may already be aware of some of the topics that are commonly taught in these programs. The courses that are found in online Master of Counseling programs are essentially the foundation of your expertise in the field. What you learn during your program can then be transformed into practice after an observational period with licensed counselors in the field. Some of the courses you might take are concerned with working with diverse groups, as well as different age groups.
The assessment and treatment process for varying individuals can be very different and require a wide array of different counseling methods. In your courses, you can see why different theories or methods may be more useful with different people, and how people that have experienced domestic violence may require a combination of methods to obtain the best results possible. Check out some courses that our team has pulled from current online Masters in Counseling programs all over the country.
- Theories of Personality: One of the most important things for you to learn as an upcoming counselor is the differences in personalities. Personalities can be guiding resources to individual behavior, preferences, and even life decisions. This course outlines some of the most fundamental theories of personality in order to help you learn more about how each type projects itself in the social setting. This can help you maintain a better working relationships with your clients and help to guide you more efficiently during the treatment planning process.
- Family Systems Theory: If you want to truly understand the dynamic that can lead to domestic violence, you should have further training in family systems theory through this course. As a student, you can learn more about how different cultural and ethnic groups organize their family structures, common behaviors and expectations that can cause conflict, and methods for providing culturally sensitive counseling services to families with different needs. Theories regarding individual personalities may also be compared to family systems theories in an effort to better outline how these systems fail and modify over time.
- Relationship Assessment and Counseling: One of the most important goals of the domestic violence counselor is developing treatment plans that can bring families together in a healthy way. This course outlines procedures that can be used to properly assess personal relationships in an effort to identify areas in need of change. Students may also be instructed on different counseling methods that can be used to implement goals from the treatment plan with both individuals and family units.
Path to a Career in Domestic Violence Counseling
If you are ready to begin your journey towards becoming a domestic violence counselor, you can begin with a look at online bachelors programs that can set you on track for future admissions into relevant masters programs. Generally, online Masters in Counseling degree programs may require that you have an undergraduate degree in fields such as psychology, education, or even sociology. Any of these programs can provide you with great information that can contribute to your learning in counseling programs.
After this step, you can complete your application of admission to an online masters program of your choice. Choosing a CACREP-accredited online Masters in Counseling program can help to ensure that you can receive your license after you have completed all of the required steps, so take this into consideration when choosing a program. Hard work and dedication during your program can help you to better serve your clients in the field once you have completed it.
The path to becoming a domestic violence counselor also involves supervised field experience and eventually a test on your abilities in the field of counseling. Each of these 2 steps are completed after you have received your masters degree, and can be final steps in the licensing process. Once you have received your license, you can move forward into further certification or begin working in your community.
Organizations to Know
Beginning your education in the field of counseling or your career can be a huge step in your life. In order to fully prepare yourself for these life changes, you should surround yourself with supportive resources so that you can have the best chance of success in your career. Professional organizations in the field of counseling can be great options for you to consider, since they consist of large numbers of students and professional counselors in your field. Learning about these organizations and the resources they can provide you can be a great way to better integrate into your field from the start of your degree program.
Some of the most popular organizations for counselors are the American Counseling Association (ACA) and the American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA). If you would like to look into organizations that are specifically geared towards domestic violence, you could research the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence as a means for learning more about the goals of your field overall.
Careers to Consider
Careers in domestic violence counseling may be found in multiple agencies in your own community. Domestic violence counselors can be part of a team of counseling professionals in your local mental health agencies that are aimed at providing as assortment of counseling services to the public. In some areas, counselors in this field can also work directly through the court system with families that have faced legal issues as a result of domestic violence in their personal lives.
Domestic violence counselors can also work in coordination with state agencies that provide support to children in the foster care system and in criminal rehabilitation programs that seek to provide offenders with counseling services to help change their outlook and perspective. Pursuing the online Masters in Counseling can provide you with versatile career options that can lead you into many different types of provider agencies or even into private practice. Your work style and client preference are some factors to consider before choosing your pathway into this field.