Over the years, New York has grown into one of the largest and most influential states in the country. Residents of this great state may feel the need to pursue degree programs that can help to increase the quality of life of others throughout the state, as well as contribute to the growing influence of their homeland.
If you currently reside in New York and wish to pursue a career in counseling, online Master's in Counseling programs may be the right choice for you. Throughout the state, there are currently 2 CACREP-accredited degree programs for you to choose from. Each of these programs can set you on track for a successful and highly influential career in the field.
Consider a Featured Online Counseling Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?||Entry Requirements||Course Information|
Online MA in Counseling
|check_circle Online||GRE Scores Not Required||24 Courses (standard program for those with counseling experience) or 27 courses (bridge program, for those with no counseling experience)|
|New York University
Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness
|check_circle Online||GRE scores are not required for admission.||Weekly live classes taught by distinguished NYU Steinhardt faculty.|
|University of Denver
Online MA in School Counseling
Designed to adhere to CACREP standards
|check_circle Online||No GRE required.||Learn from doctoral-level faculty in live classes and gain experience through mock counseling and in-field training.|
Online Master's with School Counseling Specialization
|check_circle Online||Bachelor's Required||Live, online classes every week led by Vanderbilt faculty|
|University of Southern California
Online Master of Education (ME) in School Counseling
Can be completed in less than 2 years.
|check_circle Online||No GRE requirement||Classes led by USC Rossier faculty who are experts in school counseling, educational leadership and family therapy.|
Online CACREP Master of Counseling Programs in New York
Students that have an end-goal of becoming licensed and helping people work through difficult issues within their lives are required to have a license to practice counseling within their state. The state of New York requires that you graduate from a program that has been reviewed and accredited by the CACREP, making this agency extremely important for your progression in this field.
The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) is essentially the gate-keeper for licensing in this state, marking the necessity for accreditation of your chosen program. While you sort through potential online Master of Counseling programs in your state, be sure to identify the accreditation status of your individual program before making your final decision.
St. Bonaventure University: Multiple Online Counseling Programs
If you are a New York resident that is on the prowl for reliable and well-known online Master of Counseling degree programs to enroll in, you should take a look at the online offerings through St. Bonaventure University. This school has successfully achieved current accreditation for online Master of Counseling programs in both School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling for their incoming students.
The Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialization helps students focus on the need for proactive communication, competencies related to culture and diversity, and critical thinking that can assist them with actively solving complex problems on a daily basis. The School Counseling option for students at this university includes a look into the educational regulations and expectations of professional counselors, as well as techniques that can be used with individuals and large groups within the educational setting. Depending on your enrollment status, each of these programs could have completion times ranging from 2-5 years.
Online CACREP Accredited programs | Online MPCAC Accredited programs
If you are interested in learning more about where to find these programs, you might be intrigued to discover that the most popular city for accredited online counseling programs is Allegany, New York. Within this city, St. Bonaventure University provides counseling programs that can assist you with meeting your goals as a mental health specialist. Offering programs in both School and Clinical Mental Health Counseling, this university could possibly meet the needs of future counselors with different paths in mind.
Counseling Programs in New York
The state of New York requires that professional counselors have a graduate degree in some field of counseling, work underneath a licensed counselor for a period of time, and pass a board exam in counseling before administering therapy to the public.
New York Counseling Degrees: A Summary
- 80+ different counseling degrees in New York (16 Associate's, 84 Master's, 13 Doctoral)
- 29 CACREP-accredited counseling programs in New York
- According to the BLS, average salary for New York professional counselors is around $48,960 annually
In the field of counseling, graduating and achieving a degree is only part of the path towards starting a career. The NYS Office of the Professions currently oversees licensure for those interested in pursuing a career as a counselor, so it is important to stay up to date with what this agency requires along the way. Most states require that students successfully complete an accredited Master's in Counseling program and gain around 2 years of experience under the supervision of a licensed counselor. Take a look at the online and accredited degree programs offered in your state below.
Typical Areas of Study
New York State wants any prospective counselor to show that they have an excellent understanding of the following areas, and that their Master's or Doctorate degree satisfied the following areas of study:
- Human growth and development
- Social and cultural foundations of counseling
- Counseling theory and practice
- Group dynamics
- Lifestyle and career development
- Assessment and appraisal of individuals, couples, families and groups
- Research and program evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethics
- Foundations of Mental Health Counseling and consultation
- Clinical instruction
Online Counseling Programs in New York
- St. Bonaventure University – School Counseling: With a completion time of around 30 months for most students, St. Bonaventure University offers a competitive School Counseling program online for interested students. This program requires no GRE or GMAT for admissions, which adds to its attractiveness for those coming from rigorous bachelor’s programs. While this program does require master’s learners to engage in an in-person work experience, a majority of the coursework for this program is completed in an online setting.
- St. Bonaventure University – Clinical Mental Health Counseling: St. Bonaventure University also offers students the option of pursuing a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling through their online domain. Students can complete this program in as little as 36 months, which is great for students looking for flexibility with their degree program. This program requires that students take one course at a time and does not require a GRE or GMAT for admissions.
Counseling Organizations to Know in New York
New York has the benefit of being one of the largest states in the country, with such a large city in New York City leading the way. As a result there are a large quantity of different counseling organizations and associations that you can seek guidance and resources from. Here are a few professional counseling organizations, what each one does, and why it is important to those considering a degree or a career in counseling in New York:
- American Counseling Association of New York (ACA-NY) – not-for-profit organization that represents professional counselors and counseling students, of all specialty areas, who live or work within the state of New York.
- New York Mental Health Counselors Association (NYMHCA) – the advocacy organization representing the clinical counselors of New York, represent and advocate for counselors of all types in New York.
- New York State School Counselor Association (NYSSCA) – advocacy board committed to advocating for School Counselors and their roles within education and the profession throughout New York.
- NYSED – Responsible for Mental Health Counseling License Requirements
New York Mental Health Counseling License Requirements
There are several specific guidelines for New York mental health counselor licensing. To be licensed as a Mental Health Counselor in New York State you must past the following guidelines:
- Have a good moral character
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Meet the specific counseling education requirements (more below)
- Meet the determined counselor experience requirements
- Pass the appropriate exams
- Complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider
Education Requirements to be Licensed
To meet the professional education requirements for licensure, you will need to have earned a Master’s or Doctorate in Counseling. New York requires you provide evidence of a Master’s or Doctorate in Counseling Degree that is:
- Registered by the Department or Education as ‘licensure qualifying’
- Accredited as a mental health counseling program of 60 semester hours by the Commission on the Accreditation of Counseling Related Education Programs (CACREP) or another acceptable accrediting agency; or determined by the Department to be the substantial equivalent of such a registered or accredited program.
When considering ANY counseling degree program at any level, keep the above requirements in mind. Those are typically classes that you will take, especially in any Graduate degree. However, you can be proactive when taking undergraduate classes, and cater your degree (whether it is in counseling or not) to the above areas that the NY counseling board is looking for.
You can view the NYSED website for more information on the experience requirements to become a licensed mental health counselor in New York.
Counseling @ Northwestern is a CACREP-accredited online Master of Arts in Counseling Program with accelerated, traditional, and part-time track options. GRE scores are not required, nor is prior counseling experience. You will complete six quarters of supervised clinical field placements, which will prepare you to pursue licensure as a clinical mental health counselor in as few as 18 months.
Click for more admissions info.
With an Online Master of Science in Family Counseling from the University of West Alabama, you can study an online graduate counseling program in a flexible online environment from one of Alabama’s oldest and most prestigious universities. USA Online also offers additional counseling programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Guidance and Counseling, plus multiple psychology options.
Click for admissions information at UWA.edu.
With an Online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from the University of West Alabama, you can study an online graduate counseling program in a flexible online environment from one of Alabama’s oldest and most prestigious universities. USA Online also offers additional counseling programs in Family Counseling and Guidance and Counseling, plus multiple psychology options.
Click for admissions information at UWA.edu.
With an Online Bachelor of Psychology from the University of West Alabama, you can study an online undergraduate program in a flexible online environment, emphasizing experimental methodology and statistical training while encouraging students to gain real-world experience through research and independent projects from one of Alabama’s oldest and most prestigious universities.
Click for admissions information at UWA.edu.
New York State Counseling Licensing Boards
New York Counseling Licensure
State Board for Mental Health Practitioners
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Licensure: Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
School Counseling Licensure
State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives Certification
Education Building, 5N89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
(518) 474-3901(800) 855-2880 TTY
School Counselor [PreK-12]
Counseling Career Opportunities in New York
Professionally, counselors earn on average $48,960 per year while working in New York. This state has one of the densest ratios of counselors per individual in the country, indicating the use of counseling services is high throughout the state.
Typical Workplace Settings for Counselors
Counselors can work with clients that are currently in the hospital, struggling with illnesses. They can also work in schools, counseling students.
Mental health counseling is popular in the state, which provides counseling to those suffering from existing mental illnesses. Regardless of which path is chosen, the focus of counseling as a whole is helping people.
Individuals that are looking into this field as a career option should be willing to do whatever it takes to assist clients with getting beyond issues and having a happy life.
There is no substitute for a good counselor when clients are in need of care and that is why the state of New York has worked hard to provide excellent resources and information for those interested in the field of counseling.