Types of Counseling Licensure
- Counseling Licensure Guide
- State Counseling Licensure
- What It Takes to Become a Counselor
- LPC: Licensed Professional Counselor
- LFMT: Family and Marriage Therapy
- LCSW: Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- LMHC: Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- BCBA: Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- NCC: National Certified Counselor
Degree Programs Ideal for Counseling Licensure
If obtaining your license is one of your goals for your future, you might be intrigued to learn that there are a few different specialized paths for achieving your goal. In order to obtain your license, you should choose an online degree program that is relevant to your chosen field and accredited by the right agency.
For counseling programs, you should choose an online degree program that has been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). There are currently 3 popular specialized fields for upcoming counseling professionals to consider for their education. Read more about these programs below.
- Online Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Students that have a profound interest in working with individuals struggling with the general stresses of life, or managing symptoms of common mental health disorders or illnesses should consider the online Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. This accredited program can be found at many universities and can train students to be primary mental health providers for a wide range of clients in the field. This degree program can lead you into licensure after meeting the educational and practical requirements in your state.
- Online Masters in School Counseling: If you have more of an interest in working with youth throughout your career, you could enroll in an online Masters in School Counseling to pursue your license in your state. In this field, you can learn more specifically about problems and issues that are specific to school-aged children, as well as prevention programs and group tactics for use in the field. This field has experience expectations that can put you in touch with school systems within your area. Licensure in this field can qualify you to become an employee of school systems or a reputable resource for widespread student wellness programs across the country.
- Online Masters in Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling: Counselors can play a positive role in the lives of individuals or groups. The online Masters in Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling could be an excellent resource for upcoming counselors interested in salvaging relationships within the family unit. The CACREP currently accredits multiple online programs in the U.S. in this specialization, making it a great option for you to consider when seeking licensure in the field of counseling.
The field of counseling can have an influence on many different societal groups in your area, as well as specific people with very unique needs. It can be beneficial to consider certification in specialized fields in addition to your degree program in order to qualify for specialist positions in your geographical region.
Since counseling can be such an important component in healing and self-improvement, certification programs can include a wide range of needs and new-age fields. Our team of educational experts has researched some of the common certification programs available today in order to provide you with a helpful list of some examples for you to consider for your career. Read through some of the common certifications beneath this section.
- Child and Adolescent Counseling
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Play Therapy
- Trauma and Crisis Intervention
- Family and Group Therapy
- Health Counseling
- Career Counseling