If you are interested in being a professional in this unique sector of counseling, you can seek out degree programs to help you prepare for the fast-paced and intense field of crisis intervention counseling.
In order to obtain licensure as a counselor in this area, you should obtain a minimum of a Master's in Counseling with specialization in subjects such as trauma and crisis response.
Students interested in taking advantage of convenience in education can seek out online degree programs focusing on crisis intervention counseling at universities all over the U.S.
Consider a Featured Online Counseling Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?|
Online MA in Counseling
GRE Not Required
Earn a CACREP-accredited master’s in counseling online top-10 ranked Northwestern University in as few as 18 months. GRE not required. Bachelor's required.Learn More
|University of Denver|
Online MA in School Counseling
Designed to adhere to CACREP standards
GRE Scores Not Required
Learn from doctoral-level faculty in live classes and gain experience through mock counseling and in-field training.Learn More
|Our Lady of the Lake University|
Online MA in Counseling
Designed to adhere to CACREP standards
No GRE required.
Three specializations in Clinical Mental Health, Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, or School Counseling.Learn More
|University of West Alabama|
Online Counseling and Psychology Degrees
Multiple online counseling degree options
Programs in experimental psychology, clinical mental health counseling, family counselingLearn More
|University of Southern California|
Online Master of Education (ME) in School Counseling
Can be completed in less than 2 years.
No GRE requirement
Classes led by USC Rossier faculty who are experts in school counseling, educational leadership and family therapy.Learn More
*Sponsored Counseling Programs
Online CACREP Accredited programs | Online MPCAC Accredited programs
Crisis Intervention Counseling Degrees
Degrees in crisis intervention counseling focus on building on the strengths of students involved in order to prepare them for working in critical situations with people in need. Some of the components of this degree program include a look into the human brain during a mental health crisis, as well as the effects of acute and long-term trauma on a person's frame of mind.
Online degree programs in counseling that can lead to a professional license begin at the master's level, involving a shift in the curriculum to include CACREP-approved course work that can teach you more about conducting assessments, different therapeutic interventions, and follow-up services that can be implemented in the long-term.
Degree Levels Available in the Area
If you have the urge to help people work through some of the most difficult instances in their lifetime, an online degree in crisis intervention counseling could be an excellent option for you to pursue.
There are several different educational paths available depending on the type of duties you would like to perform in the field. Upcoming professionals with an interest in receiving their license in counseling alongside certification in crisis intervention should pursue their online masters and possibly a post-masters certificate program focusing on methods of crisis intervention.
Online bachelors programs can also help you develop skills that could put you in line for careers involved with conducting assessments and referrals for clients during an acute mental health crisis. Take a look at crisis intervention counseling programs at different degree levels.
- Bachelors in Counseling: Online bachelors programs in crisis intervention counseling can be a great starting point for upcoming counseling professionals starting their journey towards a career in this field.
- Graduate Certificate: Whether you have completed a masters degree in counseling already or are new to the college experience overall, you could take advantage of certification programs in crisis intervention counseling online. These programs could be great options for current counselors interested in extending their skills in the field or simply providing new collegiate learners with certification prior to engagement in higher degree programs.
- Masters: The masters level is the most common for future crisis intervention counselors that are also pursuing a license in counseling. Students considering these degree programs can locate online programs that include components for both general clinical mental health counseling and crisis response. Some students may also choose to complete their online Master of Counseling alongside a post-masters certification program in crisis intervention in order to cover all of the licensing and career requirements.
- Doctoral: Doctoral programs that can help train you further in crisis intervention can be suitable for licensed counselors interested in obtaining more education in the field of trauma and crisis. These online programs can be a great way to engage in research and development in the field, or to promote your knowledge and expertise in the practical setting. Online PhD programs in Crisis Intervention Counseling can be found at universities throughout the U.S.
Online Master’s Programs
Online Masters in Counseling or Trauma and Crisis Counseling can instruct you more on the proper protocol for responding to clients that are facing difficult and critical situations in their lives. If you would like to enroll in a degree program that can help you better prepare for a career in this field, you should seek out CACREP-accredited degree programs current accepting new students today. Our team of educational researchers have found a few schools for you to review as you begin your search. Check out what was found in the list below.
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology – Online MS in Trauma Counseling: Students that are seeking programs that specifically align with their career goals can find what they are looking for at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. The online MS in Trauma Counseling at this school helps students see emotions and behavior from the perspective of those that have experience trauma. Particular insight is given regarding the brain’s development as a result of trauma and interventions that have been shown successful with clients. This program can be taken at a part-time rate and completed within 3 years.
- Grand Canyon University – Online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling – Trauma: If you would like to combine your education in trauma counseling with a general mental health component, you could review what is available through Grand Canyon University’s online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling – Trauma. This 2 year program allows students to learn at their own pace and attend classes at times that work best for their own personal schedules.
Sample Courses for the Online Master’s
- Strategies in Crisis Intervention: In the event that a crisis is taking place, crisis intervention counselors should have the skills necessary to de-escalate the situation and provide clients with the support they need. This course provides a great of introductory information regarding potential crisis situations, as well as some of the strategies used to help protect those in a state of crisis. This course can help you to gain skills that can be useful when working with clients in an acute crisis or those that may be sensitive to crisis situations in the future.
- Techniques in Counseling: Even in crisis situations, counselors may be required to pull knowledge from their general counseling skill sets in order to properly diffuse situations. Students enrolled in this course can learn about the many different counseling techniques that can be used with clients in the field. Trauma experiences, goals, and treatment plans can dictate what type of methods are used during counseling services, which is taught to students throughout this course.
- Adolescent Counseling: Children that are transitioning into the adolescent stage of life may require support as their mindsets and emotions change. Through training in this course, you can learn more about the counseling methods most effective with children in this age group. Different types of cognitive, emotional, and behavioral methods may be part of learning in this course.
Path to a Career in Crisis Intervention Counseling
If you are interested in taking on crisis intervention counseling in your career, you should start with an online bachelors program related to psychology or social sciences.
The core components of these courses can allow you to explore the human brain and its development, which can be exceptionally helpful when working in crisis intervention. The online bachelors program can take around 4 years to complete for most online learners.
Masters in Counseling
Moving into online masters programs can be a great step for you if you plan to become licensed as a counselor. Online Masters in Counseling programs can outline counseling techniques that focus on understanding, communication, and coping that can be useful when in crisis. Most universities offering online masters programs allow students to complete work at a pace that works for them and offer both part-time and full-time enrollment options.
Licensure and Gaining Work Experience
At the end of your masters experience, you can begin your work experience requirement in the field. Most states require around 3,000 hours of supervised experience, which must be completed under a licensed professional counselor.
You state can guide you on specific requirements regarding the type of services you are required to perform during this experience in order to qualify for licensure. When you have completed this, you can move on to testing and licensure in your state.
Organizations to Know
Professional organizations in crisis intervention counseling and beyond can provide you with continuing education during the lifetime of your career. Most organizations in this field can be joined by paying a fee each year, which can give you access to scholarly articles and journals on topics in your field.
American Mental Health Association
Some of the most prominent mental health organizations such as the American Mental Health Association have thousands of professional members that are on a similar path as you.
Association of Traumatic Stress Counselors
Organizations such as the Association of Traumatic Stress Counselors could also be beneficial to professionals in this field, since trauma is often a factor in instances of crisis all over the United States.
Regardless of your preferences on professional organizations, there are many to choose from to help you network with other professionals in your field and take part in programs and presentations when offered in your area.
As you search for organizations to join, you should choose those that can best reflect your goals as a professional as well as encourage your growth as a counselor in the field.
Careers to Consider
As a crisis intervention counselor, you could interact with clients in some of the most critical times in their lives. There are counseling organizations all over that require on-staff crisis counselors to manage crises during the day and at night.
Some counselors in this field may also work with patients in the office setting in order to provide ongoing support to lower the prevalence of crisis with their daily lives. If you are interested in pursuing a career with counseling organizations in your state, you should seek out those that provide well-rounded and emergency services to clients in need.
There are also alternative career options that could potentially be available to you in the field once you have completed your education.
Certificate-level jobs such as crisis hotline specialists can provide advising services to clients via phone, which can be an incredibly important service to people facing dangerous or life-threatening situations in real time.
Social service agencies, research facilities, and mobile crisis operation centers can also be great places to pursue careers in this field if you pursue your license as a counselor.